Engineering Manager- Java
MADRID, SPAIN / ENGINEERING /
Klarna was founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 2005. Since then we've changed the banking industry forever. And now we're creating the world's smoothest shopping experience. We serve over 90 million consumers worldwide, and partner with 250,000 merchants – with a new merchant joining us every 8 minutes. Including some of the world's leading brands, such as H&M, ASOS, IKEA, Adidas, Samsung and Lufthansa. Our offices are spread over 17 different markets, hosted by 4000+ employees from 100+ nationalities.
Engineering at Klarna is an inspired, customer focused community, dedicated to crafting solutions that redefine our industry. Working in small, highly collaborative Agile teams, you and your team will have a clear mission and ownership of an important outcome that supports Klarna and our customers. At Klarna we optimise for quality, flow, fast feedback, focusing on end-to-end ownership, continuous improvement, testing, monitoring and experimentation. We aim for teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
Our engineers make some of the most significant decisions for the company and we are looking for bold, open and curious developers. As a Klarnaut, you’ll be inspired to contribute to the growth of Europe’s most highly valued fintech and your work will reach millions of users.
Ready to help us push the boundaries of building products with quality and speed while establishing our newest product engineering hub in Madrid? We're expanding two of our most important end-consumer focused domains (think tribes/business units/verticals) in Madrid and we are looking for like-minded future Klarnauts to continue to elevate our game!
What you'll get to do
- Inspire, lead, shape and grow a high performing software engineering team consisting of 3-8 team members; succeed, fail, and learn together!
- Scope and own a problem space while you develop your team’s vision and mission statement
- Translate business needs into capability build up and hiring plans in own team, play a key role in helping us continue to attract, develop and retain great engineering talent
- Continue being hands-on with programming and make informed decisions while you identify technical risks and drive sound design decisions; drive a you build it, you own it mentality
- Drive continuous improvement focusing on quality and speed in own team as well as across teams and domains
- Take calculated risks, anchor with different stakeholders and articulate short and long term consequences
- Act swiftly to change of direction, re-evaluate priorities and steer the team accordingly
- Manage and develop relationships with a variety of stakeholders and present to them; including external parties and Klarna's management team
You'll get the chance to work with
- Java (latest versions)
- Spring and Spring Boot and potentially other modules
- Docker and Kubernetes
- PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch/ELK stack
- Microservice architecture at scale on AWS
To succeed in this role, we think you should have
- A proven track record of successfully leading teams and delivering new products, preferably in complex and high transaction environments
- Demonstrable experience at acting independently, coupled with strong collaboration and coordination skills
- A desire to spend a significant percentage of your time close to the code
- Experience at developing, mentoring and growing a team
- Recent experience working with one or more general purpose programming languages including, but not limited to, Java
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Computer Science or a related discipline
What we offer
We also believe in making contributions back to the open source community. You can find some of our work at https://github.com/klarna
How to apply: please send us your CV or LinkedIn profile in English.
- Culture - You'll have an opportunity to work in an international company with people from a variety of different countries in a central location in Madrid.
- Learning - We have a learning and development focused environment with an emphasis on knowledge sharing, training, and regular internal technical talks.
- Compensation - You’ll get an attractive salary and compensation package. We recognise that life is more than work, and promote work life balance.
Klarna is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and candidates. Please refrain from including your picture and age with your application.