Golang Developer - k6 open-source project - EMEA (Remote)
SWEDEN / K6 – ENGINEERING: K6 / FULL-TIME (REMOTE)
About Grafana Labs:
There are more than 700,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a SpaceX launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include two other open-source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs) and Grafana Tempo (for traces)
In June 2021 Grafana Labs acquired k6 - a Stockholm-based startup behind the open-source load testing tool for engineering teams. With k6, Grafana Labs adds extensible testing to its open and composable Grafana observability stack.
At k6, we build next-generation performance testing tools for developers and DevOps engineers.
We are pushing forward the state-of-the-art in our industry, creating open-source tools that have great developer experience and enable engineers to build reliable systems. k6 is an open-source tool that we built to reinvent the engineering principles around performance testing and enable engineers to build systems that scale.
About the role:
You will be one of five developers and maintainers of k6, a modern open-source tool for performance testing, written in Go. k6 was released publicly in early 2017 and has already received over 12,500 stars on Github and has an active community of users and contributors.
You will have a lot of influence on the project road map and will work with a high degree of autonomy, building and maintaining the tool.
Your responsibilities will be to both write code, extending the functionality of k6, and maintain the code base, interface with the user community (i.e. review patches :) and potentially evangelize the tool. Your main, long-term goal will be to create the best possible tool and to get as many people as possible to use it.
You may also be involved with the k6 cloud integration, a SaaS service built on top of k6. Specifically, the parts of the cloud service written in Go, that orchestrates a distributed k6 test across 17 data centers around the world.
Due to our small teams and fast development pace, you will have a substantial and immediate impact on how the end product is architected, developed, and how the engineering team operates. Most importantly, you will work with competent colleagues and will be able to expand your knowledge and skills in different directions.
- We are looking for a person combining very strong programming skills with experience in contributing to open-source projects.
- Have a strong programming background and experience developing applications in Go (or another language with high-concurrency/parallelism)
- Good technical communication skills
- Understand internet protocols well, primarily IP, TCP, HTTP but also preferably HTTP/2, SPDY, WebSockets, QUIC, gRPC
- Are familiar with modern development processes and practices. Preferably having recent experience developing large scale applications
It is great if you also:
- Have worked in open source projects, either as a heavy contributor or, even better, as maintainer for projects with multiple contributors
- Have experience working with web performance, testing & optimization
- Have experience working with network performance, testing & optimization
- Know about things like Docker, AWS, microservices architecture, Grafana/APM tools
Equal Opportunity Employer- At Grafana Labs we’re building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we’re working hard to make sure that’s the foundation of our organisation as we grow.