Java Software Engineer - Network Planning
Locations: Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK
“We are on a mission: to transform the future of online grocery through cutting-edge technology innovation.”
Ocado Technology is changing the way the world shops using advanced Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Robotics, Big Data, Cloud and IoT. We develop the innovative software and hardware systems that power Ocado.com, as well as the unique ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ which is being implemented by ambitious retailers across the world from Europe to America, Asia and beyond.
We build everything in-house: from intelligent, frictionless e-commerce platforms to highly automated warehouses, our employees are skilled specialists with expertise across a wide range of technologies. We’re working on cutting-edge innovations that are shaping the future of our society.
We are a fast-growing, global company. Today we have colleagues in development centre across the world - London, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City (UK), Krakow, Wroclaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Barcelona (Spain), Stockholm (Sweden), Las Vegas, San Francisco (USA) and Toronto (Canada).
About our team..
The Network Planning Simulation team are responsible for maintaining and supporting a Java based simulation tool used by Planning Analytics as part of their process for evaluating placements of new sites.
Their next development project will be a collaboration with the LSCN stream to help leverage the tooling and expertise from the Simulation Area in Control Systems for the new OSP Routing Simulation project.
The longer term vision for the team is to integrate multiple simulation models to create an end-to-end model (Digital Twin) of Ocado’s platform and improve the service to its customers.
What will you do?
- As part of Ocado’s Research and Development Group, the simulation team contributes to the innovation that fuels Ocado’s growth. Candidates should be comfortable working in a number of different roles:
- As a developer, creating simulations of a wide range of concepts;
- As a framework designer, creating tools to enable other teams to get more out of simulation;
- As an analyst, generating and using large datasets to help inform business decisions and system design;
- As a researcher, using these tools to optimise algorithms and business processes and constantly striving to improve the efficiency and profitability of the world’s largest purely online grocery retailer.
- The simulation teams work alongside many areas of Ocado, in and outside of Ocado Technology, including the CFC Systems, Engineering and Logistics Development teams. Good communication skills are essential, as is attention to detail and ability to reason about and verify simulation results.
We'd like to hear from you if you have...
- BSc in Computer Science or a numerate degree
- Solid skills in Java (ideally Java 8+)
- An approach that is comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty in project specification.
- An open-minded approach to engaging with users of the Simulation outside of the team and within the wider business
Bonus points if you also have...
- Experience and interest in synthetic data and modelling;
- Strong analytical and statistical skills
- Experience of working on significant-scale open-ended uncertain research-type projects and delivering high-value from such projects - either in commercial or academic environments.
- Knowledge of Guava, Maven and Gitlab;
- Experience of analysis tools such as SQL and Python.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Flexible working patterns and options for remote working (depending on your role/team)
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free shuttle bus to and from Hatfield Train Station to the Hatfield offices
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years)
- Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Whilst we are able to offer visa sponsorship, please note that we are only able to cover the company-specific costs. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado's business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one. All benefits information is subject to change and the terms of the individual arrangements.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.