Junior/ Medior Python Backend Engineer
ROTTERDAM / R&D / FULL-TIME
Mendix is on a mission to enable anyone in any organization – from the marketing coordinator to the software developer to the CEO – to create things that are transformational for their company. We are fundamentally reinventing the way applications are created and we’re reinventing the future of software development. Sounds ambitious, right? We agree.
Not to brag, but nearly 4,000 organizations worldwide, including KLM, Medtronic, Merck, and Philips, rely on Mendix to build web and mobile applications. Thousands of our customers use our platform to delight their clients and empower their employees. It’s no surprise that we’re a recognized Leader by Gartner and Forrester in a red-hot market expected to exceed $21 billion by 2022. Ok, maybe we did want to brag a little. But we’re proud of what we’ve accomplished…and…we’re humble enough to admit that we need you to make us even more effective.
You’ll help our customers drive digital innovation by:
- Building, shipping, and maintaining complex infrastructure at scale. The Mendix Cloud hosts tens of thousands of mission-critical customer applications, powering anything from insurance quotes, to ensuring that PostNL can deliver millions of parcels on time.
- Specifically, you will be part of the team developing logging, monitoring, and backups infrastructure for the Mendix Cloud.
- We work as part of a scrum team, in 2 week sprints.
- You will help ensure all systems are always available by also being responsible for running them in production. We are a team with on-call duty.
We’re looking for you if:
- You have excellent coding skills in Python (5+ years). You know your List from your Tuple, you know the difference between copy and deepcopy, you know the difference between list comprehensions and generator expressions, and you live and breathe the standard library.
- You have proven experience (at least 3 years) building cloud-based solutions. This would ideally be on AWS, but other clouds are fine too. AWS components that we use include: S3, RDS, Route 53, Kinesis, Lambda & SQS.
- You have experience building highly-scalable, highly-available, multi-region, and distributed systems and microservice architectures.
- You have good knowledge of Unix/Linux fundamentals.
- You have a DevOps mindset: you build it, you run it.
- You care about code quality, and know how to lead by example: from a clean Git history, to well thought-out unit and integration tests.
- You are willing and able to use your technical expertise to mentor, train, and lead other engineers.
Even better (but not essential!) if you have experience with:
- Some of the following Python frameworks/libraries: Flask, Pyramid, Django, Celery, SQLAlchemy, Boto3, Requests, Asyncio.
- Mendix’s low code platform - this is a huge plus, but not a requirement.
- IaC tools such as Terraform, Puppet, or Ansible
- Containerization technology and orchestration, e.g. Kubernetes/Docker & CloudFoundry.
- CI/CD tooling such as Jenkins.
- Building database driven applications, and understand the impact of inefficient queries on an RBDMS.
- TDD & BDD and know when and when not to use it.
Our Guiding Principles
While we live on different continents, speak different languages, and work on different things, we are bound by our “MendixBlue” guiding principles. Being “MendixBlue” means that you live the culture, and you consistently improve it as we grow. It’s kind of a big deal.
We put the customer first. Without our customers, we have no business. So, if you act in the best interest of our customers, always…you belong here.
We think big. We work to have a meaningful, lasting impact on the world. So, if you aim high and think long term…you belong here.
We innovate. We want to be what happens next. So, if you ask “what if?” and work to find a way or make one…you belong here.
We nurture talent. We look, not just at the sum of what an individual has done, but at the potential of who they can be. So, if you’re up for learning from your failures…you belong here.
We hear every voice. Inflated egos don’t last here, humility does. So, if you share credit and ensure that the best ideas win – regardless of who they come from…you belong here.
We own it. If something needs doing, we do it. So, if you focus on the outcome, and take initiative to get it done…you belong here.
We have fun. We use laughter as a common language. We can ask for help and we’re happy to give it. So, if you find joy and purpose in what you do…you belong here.
Make your career at Mendix.
There are precious few jobs that let you create the future. But you’ll find one at Mendix. We are at a pivotal time in our company’s existence: where rapid growth meets stable funding. This is the time for industrious people to raise their hands to solve the next generation of problems. Mendix is a place where ambitious people can thrive; where you can identify an issue, propose a solution, and build the structure to make it happen.
Important to know: Mendix is a Siemens business, which means we’re backed by the resources and stability of one of the world’s largest and most forward-looking enterprises. Think: job security.
Since our company was founded in 2005, our aim has been to create a great work environment for people at all stages in their careers. That’s why we are so pleased and honored that we were rated a top Cloud Computing Company to work for in 2019, based on feedback from our employees on Glassdoor. With offices in the Netherlands, the UK, Germany, and the US, (and more coming), we provide an international playground to truly impact the world through low-code.