Senior Backend Engineer - Java
MADRID, SPAIN / ENGINEERING /
Klarna was founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 2005. Since then we've changed the banking industry forever. And now we're creating the world's smoothest shopping experience. We serve over 90 million consumers worldwide, and partner with 250,000 merchants – with a new merchant joining us every 8 minutes. Including some of the world's leading brands, such as H&M, ASOS, IKEA, Adidas, Samsung and Lufthansa. Our offices are spread over 17 different markets, hosted by 4000+ employees from 100+ nationalities.
Engineering at Klarna is an inspired, customer focused community, dedicated to crafting solutions that redefine our industry. Working in small, highly collaborative Agile teams, you and your team will have a clear mission and ownership of an important outcome that supports Klarna and our customers. At Klarna we optimise for quality, flow, fast feedback, focusing on end-to-end ownership, continuous improvement, testing, monitoring and experimentation. We aim for teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
Our engineers make some of the most significant decisions for the company and we are looking for bold, open and curious developers. As a Klarnaut, you’ll be inspired to contribute to the growth of Europe’s most highly valued fintech and your work will reach millions of users.
Ready to help us push the boundaries of building products with quality and speed while establishing our newest product engineering hub in Madrid? We're expanding two of our most important end-consumer focused domains (think tribes/business units/verticals) in Madrid and we are looking for like-minded future Klarnauts to continue to elevate our game!
What you'll get to do
- Work on a specific problem space critical to Klarna’s current needs with growth opportunities in a fast-paced business.
- Bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, large-scale system design, data storage/processing, security, artificial intelligence, UI design and mobile development.
- Develop as a professional in an entrepreneurial organisation that provides opportunity to work with your areas of interest.
- Use state of the art technology to solve real problems for our customers at a massive scale.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve, you are responsible for the full life-cycle of your code - you write it, you own it.
- Share your knowledge and help the team evolve best practices; be a mentor and mentee
- Work in small autonomous teams with short release cycles.
- Give back by contributing to open source: https://github.com/klarna
You'll get the chance to work with
- Java (latest versions)
- Spring and Spring Boot and potentially other modules
- Docker and Kubernetes
- PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch/ELK stack
- Microservice architecture at scale on AWS
To succeed in this role, we think you should have
- Software development experience in Java
- Strong problem solving ability
- Growth mindset and bias for action
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Computer Science or a related discipline or professional working experience building software
What we can offer you
We also believe in making contributions back to the open source community. You can find some of our work at https://github.com/klarna
How to apply: please send us your CV or LinkedIn profile in English.
- Culture - You'll have an opportunity to work in an international company with people from a variety of different countries in a central location in Madrid.
- Learning - We have a learning and development focused environment with an emphasis on knowledge sharing, training, and regular internal technical talks.
- Compensation - You’ll get an attractive salary and compensation package. We recognise that life is more than work, and promote work life balance.
Klarna is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and candidates. Please refrain from including your picture and age with your application.