Software Engineer - Android
SHANGHAI / TECHNOLOGY – SOFTWARE ENGINEERING / PERMANENT FULL-TIME
Afterpay has transformed the way people pay by allowing shoppers to receive products immediately and pay in four simple installments over a short period of time. The service is completely free for customers who pay on time - helping consumers spend money responsibly, without incurring interest, fees or revolving and extended debt. Afterpay is offered by more than 55,400 of the world’s best retailers and has more than 7.3 million active customers globally. The solution is currently available in Australia, New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom where it is called Clearpay. Afterpay evolves quickly and is on a mission to be the world’s most loved way to pay and an employer of choice. We are on a rocketship most days so if you are up for a challenge, like the notion of joining a business with big dreams and love being part of a high performing team then please grab a ticket and contact us today.
You may also check out our LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/afterpay-com-au/. This position will be based in our newly setup Shanghai Technology Center.
About This Role
Afterpay is looking for Android Engineers at our Shanghai Technology Center, to work on our consumer mobile applications. As part of Afterpay’s Mobile Engineering team, you’ll be responsible for developing software to enhance the Afterpay Mobile App delivering value to Customers. We are building the Afterpay native apps from the ground up. We’re using the latest Android technologies like Kotlin Coroutines, Architecture Components, etc. We love writing clean code and at the same time take user experience seriously. If you love working with UI and motions, this is a place for you!
• Develop Android app using Kotlin and related open source technologies
• Be open to using eXtreme Programming (XP) engineering techniques of Software Development
• Foster the use of agile practices of Software Delivery
• Work in cross-functional Product teams responsible for the discovery, delivery and validation of product features via microservices, APIs, web and mobile apps
• Work with the software engineering team following our software development principles, guided by the Team Lead, Staff Engineers and Architects
• Peer review design decisions, code, automated tests and documentation
• Participate in the ongoing design and architecture of our evolving core platforms, services and applications.
• Ensure that solutions developed address a variety of concerns, including performance, scalability, availability, accessibility and security
• Collaborate with product managers, experience designers & business stakeholders to build efficient and reliable feature implementations that will delight our customers
• Ensure that story estimates and code reviews are completed in a timely manner
• Collaborate and build strong working relationships with Mobile Engineers in our other engineering centres and teams in San Francisco
• Bachelors or Masters in CS, or relevant experience
• 3+ years of professional Android development experience
• Experience delivering and supporting Android applications with Android Studio, Kotlin and Gradle.
• Participate in designing our strategic mobile architecture
• Solid understanding of how to build testable, decoupled, maintainable code
• Experience with leveraging 3rd party tools and services for purposes such as user analytics, feature flagging, performance monitoring, etc
• Solid understanding of mobile UI/UX best practices and standards
• Deep understanding of RESTful API and application design
• Experience with version control, preferably GitExposure to Continuous Integration & Delivery will be highly regarded
• Exceptional written and verbal technical communication skills and fluent English