Software Engineering Manager - Java
MILAN, ITALY / ENGINEERING /
Klarna was founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 2005. Since then we've changed the banking industry forever. And now we're creating the world's smoothest shopping experience. We serve over 90 million consumers worldwide, and partner with 200,000 merchants – with a new merchant joining us every 8 minutes. Including some of the world's leading brands, such as H&M, ASOS, IKEA, Adidas, Samsung and Lufthansa. Our offices are spread over 17 different markets, hosted by 3500+ employees from 100 nationalities.
This is an excellent opportunity for Software Engineers to join our brand new office in our newly formed tech hub of Milan, Italy.
About Engineering at Klarna
Engineering at Klarna is an inspired, customer focused community, dedicated to crafting solutions that redefine our industry. Working in small, highly collaborative Agile teams, you and your team will have a clear mission and ownership of an important outcome that supports Klarna and our customers. At Klarna we optimise for quality, flow, fast feedback, focusing on end-to-end ownership, continuous improvement, testing, monitoring, and experimentation. We aim for teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
As a Klarnaut, you’ll contribute to the growth of Europe’s most highly valued fintech and your work will reach millions of users. Want to be part of the change? We're expanding several of of our engineering teams; teams working on our core checkout product, payment services and Klarna App to name a few.
Check out what it's like to be an engineer in Milan here.
What you'll get to do:
- Inspire, lead, shape and grow a high performing software engineering team consisting of 3-8 team members
- Take ownership on system design, collaborate with domain architects, own end-to-end problems, manage stakeholder communication, and mentor junior engineers
- Scope and own a problem space while you develop your team’s vision and mission statement
- Translate business needs into capability build up and hiring plans in own team, play a key role in helping us continue to attract, develop and retain great engineering talent
- Continue being hands-on with programming and make informed decisions while you identify technical risks and drive sound design decisions
- Drive continuous improvement focusing on quality and speed in your own team as well as across teams and domains
- Take calculated risks, anchor with different stakeholders and articulate short and long term consequences.
- Succeed, fail, and learn together with your team!
- Act swiftly to change of direction, re-evaluate priorities and steer the team accordingly.
- Manage and develop relationships with a variety of stakeholders and present to them; including external parties and Klarna's management team
Some of the technologies you will get to work with:
- Java (latest versions)
- Spring and Spring Boot and potentially other modules
- Other technologies include: Docker and Kubernetes, Kafka/SNS/SQS, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch/ELK stack, Microservice architecture at scale on AWS*
To succeed in this role, we think you should have:
- A proven track record of successfully leading teams and delivering new products, preferably in complex and high transaction environments
- Demonstrable experience at acting independently, coupled with strong collaboration and coordination skills
- A desire to spend a significant percentage of your time close to the code
- Experience at developing, mentoring and growing a team
- Recent experience working with a modern tech stack.
- We understand some people might not feel they tick every box (ie coming from a non Java background). But if you're excited about the prospect of joining Klarna and believe you can add value, we'd still love to hear from you
What we can offer you
Make an impact - You'll be part of a small team that functions like a start-up, with their own problem space and freedom to steer. Each team consist of multiple competences needed to deliver success.
Be part of a true international team - You'll have the opportunity to work in an international company and with cross-geographical teams with people from a variety of different countries.
Work-life balance - You know best how and when you are the most productive. We value goals achieved rather than working hours spent.
Fail fast and learn faster - You are expected to try, fail and learn from your mistakes. We put focus on knowledge sharing, reflection, training and regular internal technical talks to foster a learning culture.
Drive your unique career path - You'll have the support around you to take the next steps in your career. You decide what your irregular path looks like.
RSU program in a sky rocketing fintech - You’ll receive an attractive salary, pension, and insurance plans, plus we offer all of our employees an opportunity to invest in a RSU program and own a stake of the company.
We also believe in making contributions back to the open source community. You can find some of our work at https://github.com/klarna.
How to apply: please send us your CV or Linkedin profile in English.
Klarna is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and candidates. Please refrain from including your picture and age with your application.